Charles DAUDELIN

1920-2001

Charles DAUDELIN 1920-2001

1994 Cultural Cultural

Charles Daudelin studied at Montréal’s École du meuble, notably with Paul-Émile Borduas and Maurice Gagnon. In 1946, after taking part in an exhibit of painting and sculptures in Montreal and after winning an award from the province of Quebec and a bursary from the Government of France, he left for Paris, where he worked under Henri Laurens and Fernand Léger. In his return to Montréal, he worked closely with architects to create interior and exterior works of art destined for public places and participated in an art integration competition. During the 1960s, he created the “Integrated Arts” section of Montréal’s School of Fine Arts.

Mr. Daudelin is a pioneer of modern sculpture in Quebec. From the earliest days in his career, he participated in several individual and group exhibits in Canada and in Europe. Over the years, he win several national competitions which enabled him, notably, to create sculptures for the national Arts Center in Ottawa, Place des Arts, the Montréal Court House, the provincial government headquarters in Charlottetown, the “G” architectural complex in Québec City and a fountain, “L’Embâcle”, for Quebec Place in Paris. The altarpiece of the Sacred Heart Chapel in Notre-Dame Church is considered as one of his greatest accomplishments.

The environments and objects created by Mr. Daudelin show a deep concern for their fundamental purpose and for the people for whom they are intended. In 1985, his artistic endeavours earned him the Paul-Émile-Borduas Award.