Pierre PÉLADEAU

1925-1997

Pierre PÉLADEAU 1925-1997

1994 Economic Economic

In 1950, with a $1,500 loan from his mother, Pierre Péladeau, at the time a McGill University law graduate and a Université de Montréal philosophy graduate, purchased his first newspaper, le Journal de Rosemont. Three years later he acquired his first printing press. In 1964, he launched Le Journal de Montréal which became the largest French-language daily paper in America. In 1965, he grouped his various firms under the name Quebecor Inc. and in 1967, launched Le Journal de Québec.

With the acquisition of Donohue Inc. in 1987, Quebecor became the largest printing firm in Canada and the second-largest in the United States. Quebecor is the twelfth largest firm in Québec, with sales of over $4 billion and more than 25,000 employees, including 9,300 in the United States and 200 in Mexico.

Mr. Péladeau was involved with a number of causes. Most notably, he is founder of the Pavillon des Arts in Ste-Adèle and was chairman of the board of directors of the Orchestre métropolitain de Montréal. He was also a member of the Order of Canada, an officer of the Ordre national du Québec, and a member of the boards of directors of rehabilitation centers for alcoholics, Pavillon Ivry-sur-le-lac and Auberge du Nouveau Chemin. He directed the $8.5 million fundraising campaign on behalf of Montréal’s Hôtel-Dieu Hospital and donated $1 million to the Université du Québec à Montréal for the construction of a center for music and dance.